Sunday, March 13, 2011

Squash Soup

On my trip to Ecuador, we were often served a thin soup before dinner.  Several times we had squash soup.  I wasn't too excited about it.  I don't like squash and the thin soup wasn't appealing to me.  I was starving by the time dinner was served because we ate so late and I tried it.  It was delicious!  This weekend I attempted to make my own version and it turned out really good.  I forgot one recipe at work and didn't follow a second recipe I found so basically this is my own recipe.

Ingredients:  one butternut squash, 3 Tb olive oil, salt, pepper, 4 cups broth, 1/3 cup chopped onion, 2 cloves fresh garlic, nutmeg, cayenne pepper

Directions:  Slice squash in half.  Remove the seeds and mushy part around the seeds.  Smear olive oil on the open face of the squash and season with salt and pepper. Lay open face of squash down on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.  Let cool.  Scrape squash out of the skin.  Compost the skin.  In a sauce pan saute onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent.  Add squash, broth, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper.  Bring to a slow boil and simmer for 20 minutes.  Remove squash with slotted spoon.  Using a blender, puree squash and return to pan.  Enjoy!!


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...