Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ice Out

The ice went out on the Rum River yesterday, sometime during the day.  I looked up the ice out date last year.  Last year the ice went out between March 17 and 18.  We had an extra ten days of ice on the river this year.  Winter just doesn't want to let us go this year.  I started my river monitoring project today.  The temperature of the Rum River was 30 degrees (which makes me doubt the accuracy of my thermometer), the level was high, and the turbidity was good but not as great as it usually is.  The temperature of Coon Creek in Coon Hollow was 35 degrees, the level was high, and the water clarity was cloudy. Last year, on this day, March 29, the streets in my neighborhood were swept of sand and salt and I went for my first motorcycle ride of the year.   If the river is ten days behind schedule of last year, maybe the same will hold true for the motorcycle season.  I hope I can start riding on April 8th.  I really, really, really hope so. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...