Sunday, March 6, 2011

Blue Jay Quartet

This year I'm keeping track of all the birds I see.  I hope to get 150-200 species.  I saw 37 species on my trip to the Galapagos so that helped the number.  But I hadn't seen any new birds since the end of January.  February was a dry month for birding.  There aren't that many birds to see around here in the winter.  But I hadn't even seen a blue jay in 2011.  The past couple weeks I've kept my eyes peeled for blue jays.  This morning I was reading the Sunday paper when I heard the call of "Rain!"  A blue jay!  I put the paper down and went to the window.  There, right in front of me in the basswood tree, was a blue jay.  He was so pretty and fine with his bright coloring, jaunty head shape, and gymnastic posture.  But he wasn't alone.  He had three fine feathered friends and they all jumped from branch to branch in the basswood tree while calling out.  Not only did I get my wish to see a blue jay, but I saw four healthy, sassy blue jays at a close distance from the comfort of my living room.  It doesn't get much better than this. Now, my next wish is for finchs - a gold finch and a purple finch and a house finch.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...