Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Rescue

Anita Shreve wrote Rescue, a novel that focuses on the life of a trained EMT.  The medic's name is Peter Webster, a good guy all the way down to the bone.  He likes to rescue people. One of his first rescues is a woman named Sheila.  He rescues her from the car wreck she is in but he cannot rescue her from her wanderlust, her marriage with him, her mothering skills, or her alcoholism.  He raises their child on his own until one day, when their child is about to graduate from high school, he needs Sheila's help.  I finished the book on CD as I drove on Highway 10 coming back from a meeting.  FGS!  Large, salty tears rolled down my cheeks listening to the last chapter.  I will admit, I cry easy, but not usually at books.  Movies, yes.  Some sappy commercials, yes.  Books?  Seldom.  I am officially a Shreve fan.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...