Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fledglings at the Bird Feeder

I think I see fledgling birds at the bird feeder.  I'm not 100% positive but I think I see birds hatched this year eating birdseed.  I think I see young cardinals, chickadees, house finches, downy woodpeckers, and hummingbirds.  One thing that makes me think I'm seeing young is that instead of my typical male and female pair at the feeder, I now have 5 or 6 cardinals feeding at the same time.   And they're not fighting each other off. The cardinals nested in the black spruce outside my bedroom window.  They were noisy in the nest.  The newer black capped chickadees have less definite lines of black and white in their feathers.  Their behavior is more playful.  They're not there just to eat and skedaddle.  The newer chickadees want to fly around joyfully first.  The new house finches aren't as graceful as their parents.  The new downy woodpeckers are followed and watched over by their parents as they chow down on the suet.  The new house wrens don't come to the feeders but I know some of them must be new because I've got about a half dozen flying around where before I had only two.  A few years ago I would have missed all these signs of life and prosperity.  I am glad my eyes are opened to the wonderful world of birds.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...