Thursday, August 25, 2011

If I Could Preserve This Day

I wish I could preserve this day.  I wish I could can it like peach jam or freeze it to take out and enjoy in late January.  I slept with the windows open and a blanket on. The dew point was low.  A cool breeze blew over me all night and I awoke to the sound of the red squirrel chattering in the oak tree. I listened to the chickens talk as I got ready for work.  The air was cool on the ride to work.  I went for a walk around the parking lot at work about noon and it was absolutely gorgeous outside.  The holding pond was like a mirror reflecting the blue sky and puffy clouds.  The air smelled sweet from the black cherries that had fallen onto the pavement and were squished by the tires. When I left work, there was only a few clouds in the azure blue sky. One was shaped like a bird flying in slow motion - I could see each flight feather separately. A group of female red winged blackbirds gathered in the grass outside Lifetime Fitness.  They flew in a unified aerial dance from one spot to another.  I took the long way home past marshes with geese and great blue heron wading around.  I passed fields yellow with goldenrod and stocked with tall milkweed plants.  The breeze was so slight the wind turbine by the high school was not turning.  As I cycled over the Rum River a few leaves floated by on top of the water.  I ate three cherry tomatoes from the plant in a pot by the garage door.  I am really gonna miss days like this when winter comes. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...