Thursday, August 4, 2011

Walnut Harvesting Time

2009 was the first year I used my walnuts from the black walnut tree near my front door. In 2010 I had only a handful of walnuts.  This year is another bountiful year.  Every day dozens of ripe green walnuts fall from the tree and lie there in the grass like green tennis balls slightly out of shape.  The walnuts are coming down so thick I want to cover my head when I walk out the front door because they've come too close to bonking me on my noggin.  I can hear them striking the garage roof at night when I am trying to get to sleep.  Their smell is incredible; a good incredible.  If body spray came in black walnut scent I would buy it.  The smell is like smoky lime and basil with just a hint of Irish Spring.  So far this year I have collected nearly a five gallon bucketful of walnuts.  I keep the bucket outside because I am sure there are bugs in the husks of some of these walnuts.  If a squirrel ever comes close enough to look inside the bucket it will think it has hit the jackpot. As easy as it is to pick up these good smelling green orbs, I need to remember they are A LOT OF WORK.  My hands will turn black when I hull the walnuts even when I wear two pair of latex gloves.  Then I have to soak them and cure them.  Shelling each walnut takes a minimum of five hammer blows.  Then I have to separate the walnut meat from the broken shells.  Then the walnuts are baked.  So although I think it is easy now, every walnut I pick up means more work in the future.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...