Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Loading and Unloading

Today I had an awesome day that I like to repeat at least once every summer - canoeing down the St. Croix River from Taylors Falls. This time we went all the way to William O'Brien State Park.  More about that tomorrow.  Loading and unloading the canoe varies so much in difficulty.  On a scale of 1-4 (with 4 being the most difficult) I would rank my experiences today as (loading) 4, (unloading) 1, (loading) 1, and the final (unloading) 2.   The first loading was in the driveway.  We got the stern end of the boat on top of the stepladder and then swung the other end over the car and tried to center it while tiny ants swarmed out of the canoe up and down our arms. It took us a while to get the ratcheting straps figured out and to secure the canoe tightly. It's hard to work when I am giggling.  We did a good job.  Other than a hum that sounded like a gigantic mosquito hovering as we drove down the road, we had no problems.  Unloading at the St. Croix river was not problem.  I watched two strong nephews do all the work.  Loading the canoe at the William O'Brien state park was just as easy as the same two nephews, a sister and an offspring loaded it while I watched.  Unloading the final time back in my driveway again involved a stepladder but it went smoothly and quickly.  Now the canoe is back in the grass.  I suppose the ants are happy to see it return. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...