Saturday, August 20, 2011

Ride For The Wolves

After hesitating whether to go by myself, I decided to go on the motorcycle charity run, Ride For the Wolves.  We started at Running Aces - a horsetrack off Hwy. 35 and Lake Drive in Columbus.  These horses trot and pull a two wheeled buggy behind them.  Some of the horses were out practicing on the track when I arrived.  I went out to watch them go by.  The riders all said, "Hello."  I could tell the horses were looking at me because of the way they turned their heads to see beyond their blinders.  Inside the Running Aces building are huge murals.  One of the murals was a 30 foot tall Dan Patch.  I was amazed that Running Aces has such a huge building. I was reminded of Canterbury Downs, only smaller.  Among the 40 to 50 bikes that participated in this ride, I found a person I knew.  She is a birder who has led me on bird hikes at the Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge. She is a very memorable person.  She brought another woman along so the three of us hung out together all day.  They belong to WOW - Women On Wheels.  And they tried to talk me into joining WOW.  If only I could get past the silly acronym, I might join because it sounds like they do a lot of fun stuff.  Riding in a group can be both safer and more dangerous.  In a group, we are more apt to be seen.  How can a car driver ignore a line of 40+ motorcycles?  On the other hand, we ride tightly together to stay in a group and that puts us at risk.  Riders feel obliged to keep with the others but they have to balance that with their own skill at taking curves.  Before our first stop at Sal's Angus Grill in Withrow, one rider took a curve too fast, hit the gravel on the side of the road, and went over a hill.  She was thrown to the ground.  The riders behind her pulled over to see how she was.  A safer option would be to keep going and let the safety people take care of her.  She was conscious and talking.  Her hip hurt so she was taken by ambulance.  Her bike was put into the support trailer.  Since I was in the group ahead of her, we had no idea what happened to the second half of us.  When the other riders came in, they looked shaken by what they had seen.  This was not a good start to the ride but it turned out to be the only accident.  Sal's has a hitching post for horses. Four horses were enjoying the shade and water available at the hitching post while their riders ate lunch.  Our next stop was at the Traprock Inn in Dresser, Wisconsin.  The people who planned this route chose remote, quiet roads in good condition.  We did a lot of turning.  I could never have found this way without consulting a map many times which is why I usually end up on busier roads.  Our third stop was at the Star Prairie Sports Bar.  We found a picnic table under a maple tree to relax.  On the way to our final stop, we went past a yard that had thrown cut grass onto the road.  The entire lane was covered in thick green grass.  I was behind my friend who had a tow package attached to her bike giving her four wheels and the width of a car.  Her four tires kicked pieces of grass into the air.  Some of the grass went up and over my windshield and got caught inside my full face helmet.  The grass circled around inside my helmet like popcorn in a popper.  One piece of grass got stuck in my eye but I was able to blink it out.  We arrived at the Wildlife Science Center about 5:45.  We had almost a six hour ride and went about 100 miles.  My only complaint is that the breaks were too long.  The route was wonderful.  I couldn't ask for nicer weather.  All the people I met were friendly and safe drivers. Most people stayed for the dinner.  Earlier I asked what they had available for vegetarians.  The answer was coleslaw and cookies so I passed on that.  I had a great day.  I think I'll do this ride again next year.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...