Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ka Pow!

My motorcycle backfires.  Frequently.  I've driven it long enough to know when a backfire will come.  So it doesn't scare me anymore.  Every time I turn the motor off it backfires; sometimes a feminine "puff" but usually a "ka-pow."  When I decelerate from a high speed it will backfire about half the time.  Say I'm going along at 50 or 55 mph and a red light is ahead.  I let go of the throttle a little and "ka-pow!"  It sounds like a rifle shot.  Heads turn and people look for blood spurting out of someone or other evidence of a shooting.  Now, it's kinda fun to watch people react.  I saw a guy on a bike freak out as he was peacefully pedaling along Island Lake as I went up the Victoria exit ramp off Hwy. 694.  He jerked so hard I thought he might tip over.  A burly construction contractor startled as he filled his gas tank at the Superamerica on Hwy. 35 and Lake Drive.  The ka-pow sounds extra loud under a gas station canopy.  Even though there is nothing I can do to prevent the backfiring, I do feel a little guilty not only looking for but also enjoying the reactions of bystanders. 

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Getting enjoyment for scaring others with your bike is not like you! Reading your blog made me giggle though! Does that mean *great minds* think alike? Haha

Sue said...

I know it's not like me. Normally I don't like to draw attention But in this case, I can't help it. So I figured I might as well have fun with it.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...