Thursday, February 23, 2012

Eagles

I have been keeping my eye on the eagles in Coon Rapids.  They have a nest right off Highway 10 just east of the Main Street exit near Lowe's.  I am pretty sure they are incubating an egg or two.  Eagles eggs are supposed to be 2.9 inches long.   I've seen one eagle sitting on the nest every time I go by for the past 6 days.  Sometimes the eagle sits low in the nest so I can just barely make out the head over the nest rim as I drive by at 65 mph craning my neck to see. The parents take turns incubating the eagle egg. The Momma eagle is 25% larger than the Poppa.  This eagle family has a nice view of the large Coon Creek swamp which must have lots of good things to eat in it.  I've seen lots of ducks, songbirds, raccoon, possum, and deer in there.  The creek might have some fish.  And nearby Highway 10 must offer plenty of road kill although it is a dangerous road to eat from.  Someday I would really love to see eagle courtship.  I read about them doing cartwheels in the air.  They also lock talons and fall nearly to the ground before releasing each other; eagles playing chicken.  That would be something to see.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...