Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Today I had two hours to think as I mindlessly shoveled the driveway.  Among other things I thought of the many definitions of buff.  There is the color buff, the well defined muscle buff, the enthusiast buff, and the polished buff (as in well dressed).   This means if I were tan, physically fit, well dressed, and a big fan of Orpingtons, I would be a (wait for it) buff, buff, buff, buff Orpington buff.

I was almost finished with my driveway when a man with a snow plow offered to clean out the driveway once.   He said he would back in as far as he could and push forward one time.  I hesitated - it was almost done.  He said, "No charge."  I said sure, thanks.  I thought I would ask for his card in case I wanted to hire him to plow.  I had shoveled enough to get my tiny car in and out.  I figured the rest could melt.  He backed in and widened my path.  In front of the driveway I had shoveled one car width.  He tried to clean out the other lane but it was hard going backwards with the plow.  He was a little reckless.  He plowed over the wooden ties that mark the sides of the driveway in two spots.  And he knocked over a tree.  And he peeled the bark off of two other trees.  Back and forth he went.  He seemed a little obsessive about cleaning out all the snow.  He backed up towards my garage and BANG, he hit my car (parked innocently inside the garage) with his trailer hitch pretty hard.  Lucky for me I had the transmission in gear or I would have had a Honda Civic and a green work table inside my fireplace downstairs.  The car moved forward when it was tapped and there was no damage to the bumper.  The plow driver got out and looked for damage and I told him there was none and thank you very much for your help, the driveway looks great.  But he still wasn't done.  He moved back and forth and there is no snow between the hack berry trees on the east and the woods on the west.  After about 5 more minutes of anxiously watching this reckless plower, he finally left.  I didn't ask for his card.  He had failed the test.  I finished shoveling the sidewalk, made a snow person beside the driveway and went inside to enjoy a cup of hot cocoa.

I am glad there was no damage when he struck my car.  I think it would be difficult to explain to my insurance agent that my car was damaged in an accident while parked inside my own garage.

2 comments:

Cajo said...

Buff also means naked!

Sue said...

Why do I keep forgetting that definition? My modesty is deeply entrenched. If I was a naked, physically fit, polished, tan, buff orpington enthusiast, I would be a buff, buff, buff, buff, buff orpington buff. That would have been a little bit funnier.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...