Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Splendid Day

Yesterday Offspring #1 got hitched.  I bought a long dress for the occasion which was a good plan because when I bought it I didn't know I'd be falling through a deck and be sporting one very ugly leg injury.  The long dress was flattering and beautiful - a red carpet dress.  I enjoyed every minute in it.  I knew it was hard to zip up.  I didn't want to ask Offspring #1 to zip it so I thought I'd be smart and tie a shoe string to the zipper tab and pull it it myself like you can do with a wet suit.  Not only did that not work but I tied the knot so tight Offspring #1 had to spend 5 minutes cutting the string off the zipper.  Live and learn.  I borrowed a beautiful crystal necklace with matching earrings and a silver handbag from a friend at work.  The ceremony was at the Fort Snelling historic chapel.  And it was lovely, thoughtful, beautiful, and elegant.  Tears were shed because people were overwhelmed with emotion.  I got to walk my son down the aisle and I will always remember that walk because it was awesome to stand beside such a handsome and good man.  The ring bearer was cute and did pretty well coming down the aisle until too many camera phones appeared and he stopped.  A preplanned bribe positive reinforcement in the form of a Transformer toy was shown at the front row and he ran the rest of the way down the aisle, forgetting to give the ring pillow to the best man. The flower girl smiled and walked elegantly down the aisle.  Beautiful vows were spoken.  I was so overcome after Offspring #1 said his vows I slapped my father's leg in a "Did you hear how beautiful that was " kind of way.  I suppose I surprised him quite a bit.  I'll have to explain myself later.  The reception was a few miles away.  The appetizers were amazing.  I had a spinach and cheese thing in phyllo dough that was good.  I saw teriyaki chicken strips on tiny wooden stakes, taquitos, shrimp cocktails, and filled strawberries being handed out. When the bride and groom arrived there was a grand march.  The DJ lined us up to be announced.  We were instructed to proceed to the dance floor for a photo and go to our seat at the table. She lined us up.  Parents of the bride are first.  I was second.  Bride and groom are last.  As we stood there waiting I realized I was the only person coming in alone.  I had a short lonely moment there.  But when I walked in and they said my name, a table full of nephews and family members hollered out my name cheering for me and I remembered - I am not alone.  I have many relationships with people who love me.  I am actually quite rich with family and friends who are in my corner.  So my lonely moment disappeared instantly and I felt very fortunate.  I raised my arms up in victory. For dinner I had the vegetable Wellington. I had roasted vegetables inside a phyllo dough and served with a red sauce and rice.  It was so good.  For cake we had two options - vanilla with vanilla bean filling or chocolate with ganache and Baily's creme filling. I really enjoyed the chocolate cake.  Toasts were made.  For our song Offspring #1 and I chose "Simple Man" by Lynryd Skynryd.  The song was a good choice except for the long length of it.  The entire evening went very well and I am very grateful to the bride's family for hosting such a wonderful ceremony.  The entire day was more than I ever dreamed it could be.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...