Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Telegraph Avenue

I selected Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon because I enjoyed his other book, The Yiddish Policeman's Union.  This book is set in Oakland, California and centers around two couples.  The men co-own a record store called Brokeland Records which is on Telegraph Avenue.  The women have a midwifery business together.  The story has many twists and turns.  Michael Chabon writes with a talent that makes me stop to appreciate the beauty of his writing.  Lovely turns of word come during action packed parts of the story (as in the illegal unhitching of a expensive blimp owned by a pro-football player) and in the ordinary moments too.  The only thing I didn't like about the story was the over-use of the word mother--cker.  I know this word is part of the black vernacular and I wasn't really offended the first dozen times it was used.  In total I think it was used more than 150 times.  Aside from that, this was a very entertaining and well-written novel.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...