Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Telegraph Avenue

I selected Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon because I enjoyed his other book, The Yiddish Policeman's Union.  This book is set in Oakland, California and centers around two couples.  The men co-own a record store called Brokeland Records which is on Telegraph Avenue.  The women have a midwifery business together.  The story has many twists and turns.  Michael Chabon writes with a talent that makes me stop to appreciate the beauty of his writing.  Lovely turns of word come during action packed parts of the story (as in the illegal unhitching of a expensive blimp owned by a pro-football player) and in the ordinary moments too.  The only thing I didn't like about the story was the over-use of the word mother--cker.  I know this word is part of the black vernacular and I wasn't really offended the first dozen times it was used.  In total I think it was used more than 150 times.  Aside from that, this was a very entertaining and well-written novel.

No comments:

Time Of The Lotus Bloom

Now is the season for the blooming of American lotus. The flowers near shore stand higher above the water line than the flowers in deeper wa...