Friday, July 5, 2013

Chocolat

Say Chocolat like this - "sho-co-la."  Chocolat is a sensual novel much like it's name.  Joanne Harris wrote this story as the first of a series of three which I have been reading in backward order.  Now I am done with her series but not done with her.  Her writing is so good I think I will want to explore her other works.  Vianne Rochet is the main character - a single mother of Anouk and the owner of the new chocolate store in a small town in France.  Her antagonist is the village priest, Francis Reynaud.  He takes a great dislike to Vianne because she opens a chocolate store next to his church at the beginning of the Lenten season.  Reynaud tries to be good and dignified and helpful but he can't seem to shake his rigid, judgmental and snooty attitudes.  The story is about small town life where everybody knows your business which is both a blessing and a curse.  Joanne Harris is a great author and I loved her story.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...