Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Fair Starts Again

The Anoka County fair opened today.  As I drive by to work I've noticed them getting ready.  Two new pole barns were constructed this spring.  Then came the porta potties and the dumpsters.  The pronto pup wagon, the lemonade wagons and the cotton candy wagon arrived this weekend.  On Monday morning the rides arrived on their trailers but were not set up until Monday afternoon.  The fair opened this morning.  I saw a girl walking her spotted pony around the arena.  This afternoon the place was bustling with action.  The rides were going, the Ferris wheel was wheeling, and I could smell pork chops, onions, popcorn, and grease as I drove by with my windows open.  Families were arriving pushing young ones in strollers.  Girls walked by in long sleeved shirts and tight capris.  I saw a couple young men arrive in plaid shirts and ball caps.  Ah,the county fair; it a microcosm of our local community.  Today they had motorcycle races in the grand stand.  Although I'm not going to the county fair this year, I will enjoy it by driving by twice a day and taking in the sights, sounds, and smells as the traffic inches by.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...