Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Sounds of the Seasons

I'm not talking Christmas seasons. I am talking about the fall, winter, spring and summer seasons.  My neighbor opened my ears to it.  The nights are so loud in our neighborhood.  I open the deck door to listen and the buzzing of insects is almost overwhelming.  I can't identify any frogs in the mix although towards dawn I did hear an American Toad singing his love song.  I think what I am hearing is crickets; many, many crickets.  I wouldn't think it's all crickets.  Other insects must make noises as well.  If I had to summarize the sounds of the seasons in a few words fall would be crickets, winter would be quiet, cardinals and chickadees, spring would be red winged blackbirds, owls and frogs, and summer would be frogs, fireworks and birds.  Before we know it all will be quiet again.  Snow will blanket the landscape and soak up all the extraneous sounds.  Enjoy the sound of crickets while you can.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...