Friday, September 20, 2013

The Eyre Affair

I'm busy reading a stack of books from my kind neighbors.  One of the books they brought me is The Eyre Affair by Jasper Florde.  I enjoyed it but as I read I thought an person with a major in English would get more out of this book than I did.  I'm sure many literary references went way high over my head.  In this story, set in Britain in 1985, time travel is possible.  In this story it is even possible to travel into books and kidnap characters.  This makes first editions very important because if a character is kidnapped from a first edition book, all the subsequent editions are affected.  If a major character is kidnapped the book becomes much shorter. Various literary fans study the first editions to make sure no fictional characters are kidnapped.  The main character and heroine of this story is Thursday Next.  One of the things that amused me about this book is the names chosen for the characters.  The bureaucratic bumbling official, for example, is named Lieutenant Jack Schitt.  Although this isn't a book I would have selected for myself, I did enjoy it.  And I admired Thursday Next very much. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...