Monday, September 16, 2013

Koala Care

In the building where I work there is a "Koala Kare" changing station on the wall in the women's restroom.  Ever since my trip to Australia I notice this more.  I wonder why they chose the koala as an animal mascot for their child care products.  Are koalas known for being caring parents?  Well, they do keep their babies in their pouches which seems very safe and caring.  And koalas are vegetarians which seems safe and caring.  Koalas are not aggressive which seems safe and caring.  Koalas are mammals and feed their babies milk which seems safe and caring.  So I guess, overall, koalas are safe and caring parents.  What gets me about koalas, and I think about this every time I see a koala kare changing station, is what koalas do when their babies are weaned.  Adult  koalas eat only one thing, eucalyptus leaves. Because all they eat is eucalyptus leaves, their scat smells pretty good.  Koalas travel from tree to tree examining each leaf looking for the leaf that has the best moisture content and the lowest toxicity.  For their babies to transition from mother's milk to eucalyptus leaves, the right bacteria to digest these leaves must be introduced into their system. So before the offspring eat their first leaf, the mother koala feeds them her scat. That is right, folks.  Baby koalas get crap for dinner.  Now does that seems like a good parent, a safe and caring parent to you?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...