Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Ringer

My kindly neighbors lent me a copy of The Ringer by Bill Scheft.  On the cover is a quote from David Letterman that says, "If you don't enjoy this book, there is something wrong with you."  What is that, a challenge?  Turns out Bill Scheft is one of the writers on the Letterman show.  A few segments of the book were funny.  Some of the humor was urban, New York humor and it went right over my head.  All the sports humor (golf and baseball mostly) went over my head.  And jokes about aging, ill old men, well, I just don't find those to be so funny.  The story is about Uncle Mort (the aging, ill old man who used to be a national sports writer) and CB (short for college boy, Uncle Mort's nephew who steals from Mort's medicine cabinet, takes relatively good care of his uncle, but has yet to grow up despite being in his mid-thirties).  The book is all manly humor, fast paced, and a little difficult to follow.  Sometimes as a reader I just need to keep plowing through and hope I get back on track after a couple paragraphs or pages.  The book was kinda funny; good enough to keep my mind occupied as I spent time on the recumbent bicycle.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...