Friday, December 27, 2013

Flight Behavior

I chose Barbara Kingsolver's new novel Flight Behavior to take on my trip to the west coast.  Being a huge Kingsolver fan, I love her combination of fiction and biology the ecology.  This book was no exception.  Flight Behavior is fiction but it is also a political and scientific commentary on global warming.  Her premise is - What if global warming changed the behavior of our migrating Monarch butterflies?  What if, instead of migrating to the mountains of Mexico, the monarchs stayed in southern Appalachia during the winter?  How would the local community react to being the host of most all the continent's population of monarchs?  These issues are explored along with the marriage of a young, poor married couple whose relationship is faltering.  Every sentence of this novel kept my attention and it was the perfect traveling book (although a paperback version would have been easier to carry around).  I finished it just as my plane started to descend into Minneapolis.  Perfect timing.  Perfect travel book.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...