Thursday, December 26, 2013

Hyperbole and a Half

I have over indulged this holiday season.  This time it wasn't so much with sweets or food items but in a book.  I got a book  yesterday for Christmas.  It's a book I've wanted for a while.  I started to read it yesterday but then I realized how rude it is to ignore your company while you read the book they gave you.  Instead I brought it with me tonight as I sit and wait for my auto to be maintained.  I  read the whole dang thing snickering quietly because I don't want to draw attention to myself in the waiting room but it's so funny I can't help but snicker.  I don't get what makes it funny because she just writes and draws about ordinary situations like being a child, feeling sad, feeling afraid, bluffing, procrastinating or owning a dog.  Maybe it's the way she states the obvious that causes me to snicker.  I know if I was reading this in private I would be laughing out loud.  Yes, this is a good book.  Allie Brosh is a talented writer.  Her drawing is basic and childish yet conveys emotions and psychological nuances with great skill.  Oh, why did I read this book so fast?  Now it's over.  I think I'll read it again.  There are more snickers in store for me.  I knew it would be good because I've been following her blog for a couple years.  I was right.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...