Friday, December 27, 2013

Lucky

Today I went swimming after work.  As I walked toward the lap pool I saw a man sitting on the floor by the hot tub surrounded by 2 lifeguards and other club staff.  Almost everyone in the room was staring at the poor guy so I didn't.  I started swimming laps.  Before I finished my first lap I saw a police officer walk by the pool.  To me this was a sign that the ambulance was coming next and I felt bad for the poor guy who was now sitting in a chair.  By the time I was halfway through my 12th lap, the paramedics walked by.  Golly, it took a long time for the ambulance to come.  It takes me about 20 minutes to swim 12 laps.  The poor man left; headed to the hospital in his swim trunks.  All his stuff was probably still in his locker.  I would hate to arrive at the hospital in a wet swim suit.  When I added this incident to the fact that I learned that another man I know has been hospitalized in the cardiac intensive care unit since Dec. 18, I realize how lucky I am not to be in the hospital.  I was in the hospital for one day this year and I didn't feel unlucky that day. Actually I knew I needed to be there and was grateful to be admitted.  When you're really sick, the hospital is the place to be.  Lucky for me, I'm not sick.  I'm not in the hospital.  My health isn't keeping me from doing anything and everything I want to do (except hiking).  Today I am lucky. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...