Monday, December 9, 2013

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Junot Diaz's novel, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao won the Pulitzer prize for fiction in 2007.  This story tells the tale of Oscar as he grows up in New Jersey with his mother and sister. Oscar is the kind of guy who never fits in.  As immigrants from the Dominican Republic, it's hard to fit in but Oscar never gets anywhere close.  Bullied and tormented by the kids his age he can't understand why he should make any changes.  I listened to this book on compact disc.  Enough of the book is in Spanish, so much than when I went to lift the 50 pound bag of chicken feed out of the trunk of my car I exclaimed, "Dios Mio!"  Diaz's story gives me a better understanding of the Dominican Republic including the politics. I liked Oscar and his sister Lola.  Oscar's mother and Oscar's friend Junior (say it yoon-yore) are not as likeable.  It was a great story though.  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...