Friday, December 6, 2013

Party Party


Last night I went to a holiday party and tomorrow I am going to another one.  How lucky can I get?  At this time of year I love to go to parties.  If anyone takes the trouble to organize a party and open their home to me I just can't see not going.  The party last night was in a very nice home in Ham Lake.  All the partiers were Master Naturalists.  Thinking back to my decision to join the Master Naturalists back in 2007, I know I made a good decision.  I've made friends with so many interesting people.  Last night we talked about travel, state parks, volunteering with school kids, various naturalists we know, what speakers we want in the coming year, degrees of sleep for animals (hibernation, torpor, dormancy, and estivation), the breeding bird atlas, the Christmas bird count, national wildlife refuges, Limburger cheese, snowshoes, skiing, seasonal affective disorder, pow wows, bears, corkscrews, opening wine bottles with a cordless drill and a deck screw, the color red, white water rafting, Wisconsin, bull snakes, boa snakes with lavender coloring, the lucrative business of breeding reptiles, Blanding turtles, predacious diving beetles, buckthorn, garlic mustard, binoculars, nature hikes, eating wild game, smoking fish, the quarry in Sandstone, pets, children, the Herpetological Society, work, retirement, photography, mushy brains, getting older, the movie "Gravity," snowy weather and bad roads, and gingko trees.  Fascinating conversations!  I'm glad I went.  I was lucky to be invited.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...