Thursday, January 9, 2014

ِA Joy Shared Is A Joy Increased

I got an email this morning.  The "regarding" line read, "What's so hard about finding a snowy owl?"  I open it up to see the words "Photo of me and a friend in Lutsen last summer."  It's my friend and what is that?  A snowy owl?  What the he11?  How did he insert a snowy owl into his photo like that? I blocked out his face to blog about it but still, how did he do that?  If I HADN'T seen a snowy owl the previous evening this email would have really riled me up.  Turns out he printed his photo, copied a snowy owl photo, shrank it to an appropriate size, printed it, cut it out, glued it to his photo, and scanned it to send it to me.  That was a lot of work.  This guy puts a lot of energy into his jokes.  I love the way the snowy owl is turned toward him as if they're having a conversation over coffee and lemmings. And he is glad I saw a snowy owl last night and so are a lot of other people because it's all I've been talking about lately.  If there is one thing I've learned this week, like is more fun when you share your enthusiasm.  Like Norman Vincent Peale said, "If you have zest and enthusiasm, you attract zest and enthusiasm.  Life does give back in kind."  Also my friend from city hall thought about buying mice for the owl.  He thinks the mice would stay on top of the snow.  But he fears the mice might run into the road causing the owl to follow and possibly creating an collision between an owl and a vehicle.  So he's not going to feed mice to the owl.  I agree with his thinking.  He also thinks the owl is stunning and magnificent - both worthy adjectives in my opinion. I've had phone calls from birding friends and master naturalist friends about this owl.  At work I've had several conversations about owls and lemmings.  Oh, and by the way, lemmings do not commit mass suicide by jumping off a cliff.  That was a misconception fueled by cartoons, video games and music.    

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...