Tuesday, January 28, 2014

She Knows

I'm lucky to have such a good friend.
I have a friend.  We met in 1975.  My first impression of her?  She looks like she has a lot of fun.  We met at work.  We became friends.  We have stayed friends.  She has known me before I graduated from college, before I had children, before so many, many things have happened to me.  She knows me completely. She knows my faults and my mistakes. We have few secrets.  There is no need for me to pretend with her. When we talk on the phone it's always over an hour long conversation.  Always.  My friend is a good listener. Her memory is so sharp there are some things I wish she would forget.  She reminds me of events in my life that I have completely forgotten about. Sometimes she makes me feel humbled and loved in the same moment. She gently prods me sometimes.  She challenges me to aim higher. She reminds me that is healthy to relax and take care of my needs.  When I loose perspective she helps me find it again.  And she laughs.  She laughs all the time.  She laughs at me and with me and sometimes she laughs for me.  She encourages me to follow my passions. And so yesterday, when I was having a tough day because of stress at work and stress with another friendship it was no surprise to me at all that she called.  She knows.  She knows when I need her.  What did we talk about?  The weather, her job, my job, her family, my family, her aches and pains, my aches and pains.  We used to talk about going to wild parties and handsome men and now we talk about aches and pains.  Every encounter I have with her makes me feel good and better and included and trusted and respected and appreciated.  She fertilizes the quality of kindness inside me.  She didn't say anything specifically about the problems I was having yesterday but she helped me through it. When I hung up the phone I felt stronger and empowered. We can go for weeks or months without talking or seeing each other but it doesn't matter.  I'm there for her.  She's there for me.  She has enhanced my life more than I can measure.  She's made me a better person in all aspects of my life. It's my honor to have her as my friend. Relationships - it's what life is all about.
 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...