Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Today Has Been a Great Day Because I SAW A SNOWY OWL!!!!!!

Normally I work out after work but tonight I skipped so I could get to the snowy owl territory before the sun went down.  I approached the area heading west on Sunwood Drive.  When I saw a lump on top of the third lamp post my heart started thudding in my chest.  I parked a respectable distance away and took out my binoculars to see MY FIRST SNOWY OWL!

I watched him for 15 minutes as he rotated his head around and bobbed up and down.  Sometimes he turned to look at me with his bright yellow eyes.  Some guy got out of his car right below the owl to take a photo and scared him away to a tree half a block north of here.

And I watched the owl for another 10 minutes as the sky behind him darkened to a carnation pink.  Then the owl flew in front of my car and back to this field again where I lost it in a depression.  I hope it found something to eat.  The bird was magnificent and I was lucky to get a long good look at it.  Today has been a great day for me!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...