Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Call of the Red Bellied Woodpecker

I had a million things to do when I got home last night.  I had made a list and everything.  I rushed around the house gathering things and organizing for the days ahead.  As I scurried around I heard a red bellied woodpecker call and call and call.  I see the red bellied woodpecker all the time so I didn't stop to admire it on my peanut feeder.  But the woodpecker kept calling again and again and again.  I wondered if maybe there was a youngster waiting in a tree for the parent to bring it a peanut.  The woodpecker called steadily for another two minutes so I put my things down and went to look out the window.  Oh, now I see why the woodpecker was calling me to come to the window!  On the oriole feeder next to the peanut feeder was a Baltimore oriole gobbling down generic grape jelly.  Totes awesome!  Thank you, red bellied woodpecker, for calling me to see this wondrous sight.  I can't think of any other reason for that woodpecker to call because as soon as I saw the oriole, the bird went silent.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...