Sunday, June 5, 2016

How?

I have had Migwe, my Russian canary for eight years.  I got this flight cage about six years ago and that is where he has resided ever since.  Today, since it was nice out, I put the cage outside on the deck. I typically do this in the summer.  I put his blue towel over half the cage so he could get relief from the sun shine.  I thought, maybe, he could commune with the golfinches like he usually  does.  Today I finished gardening about 4:30.  I wondered if I should bring him in now or let him enjoy a couple more hours of fresh air.  I decided to bring him now.  And I am so glad I did because when I removed his blue towel there he was hanging upside down by one leg.  One tiny canary talon was stuck between the bars of his flight cage. How did this happen? I don't know.  How long has he been hanging upside down like the baby brought before King Solomon and claimed by two women?  One woman says, "Go ahead. Cut that baby in half." The other woman says, "Let the baby live."  The mother who wants the baby to live is the one King Solomon decides is the true mother. I don't know how long this canary has been topsy turvey but I figure it couldn't more more than four hours.  I talk to Migwe as I rescue his tiny a$$. Is it my imagination or does he understand my comforting words?  Within a few seconds I get his tiny claw free of the cage wires. He falls to the bottom of the cage. I hope he is okay.  He flies up to a perch but looks a little lopsided. He's not bearing weight evenly.  I bring him inside. His wings work fine; it's his right leg I'm worried about. I give him 20 minutes to collect himself.  I go to give him fresh water and fresh food but he is at the food dish searching for seeds. That is a good sign!  I wait until he is done before refilling his food dish.  How did this happen? Six years in this extra large flight cage and never before has he been strung up by one leg like he was today.  What happened?  Did another bird frighten him?  Did the breeze blow him into this position?  The poor fellow!  My dear canary! His leg must be killing him. If only I had some canary tylenol; better yet canary oxycontin.  All I can do is hope for the best and send loving vibes his way.  The average life span of a captive canary is between 9 and 10 years.  I've had Migwe since 2008; a little more than eight years.  His songs have made me so very happy.  Migwe had brought life and joy in my darkest hours.  He's not singing tonight though.  Poor, dear Migwe!  What a day he has had.  I got to youtube and play some Russian canary songs.  At least he can enjoy some of his own kind talking tonight.  



No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...