Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Should Have Been More Specific

I have been on the look out for a Minnesota moose for about 7 years now.  I look and I look for moose.  I made a special trip to Ely just to find a moose with no luck. Last week I spent 4 days staying on the Gunflint trail and I hoped to see a moose.  As my friend and I drove up and down the trail for 3 days attending our class in Grand Marais. we had our eyes open for moose.  Moose are seen on the Gunflint trail on those days but not by us.  My friend's husband saw 3 moose while I was up there but he wasn't attending a class.  He was preparing for an upcoming mountain bike race so he biked 80 miles on gravel roads and had more opportunities to see moose.  But I wasn't totally skunked.  I did see a Minnesota moose.
The story is that this moose fell through the lake.  A week ago it raised to the surface in front of a cabin.  Two cabin owners roped it and towed it to this spot on Birch Lake away from all the cabins.  The smell was pretty strong so I didn't get super close but from what I can figure, this turkey vulture is standing on the moose's side.  The legs are reaching toward shore.  The head of the moose is on the left and the hips are on the right.  Much of the moose is still covered with hide.  A very large femur was exposed.  The vulture visibly struggled to get meat off the corpse while I watched in horrified fascination.  Three other vultures waited on branches nearby and four bald eagles waiting in tree tops along the shore. 



Does the fact that the vulture was eating while the eagles waited mean vultures are top of the pecking order?  Or does it mean the eagles were full for the time being?  In any case, I did get my wish.  I saw a Minnesota moose.  Now I want to see a live Minnesota moose.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...