Sunday, June 26, 2016

New Radio Station? WIIFM

Yesterday I talked with a guy about water quality and he mentioned WIIFM.  After the third time he brought it up, as in "People these days are listening to WIIFM," I finally asked what wiifm was.  I knew he wanted me to ask.  WIIFM, he said, stands for "Whats in it for me?"  He implied that people now days always question what is in it for them.  He said some young people have a sense of self-entitlement and they think they are above the rules.  I could agree with that but something seemed a little off as he mansplained it.  All of us ask what is in it for me, don't we?  Isn't it a natural and good part of our psyche to question what is in it for me?  If we didn't ask what is in it for me would we survive?  With the world events going on around us it does seem like some people are fearful and desperate.  They look ahead and can see that what they have is not sustainable.  We are going to run out of fossil fuels.  We can't keep drawing water out of our aquifers and sprinkle that clear, cold water on suburban lawns polluted with petrochemical fertilizers and smile as the dirty water washes into our watershed and away.  People who are different are scary and must be kept away. Why are people so afraid?  This isn't the time of the great depression or the dust bowl.  Yesterday I was reminded that in 2008 the people in the great state of Minnesota voted for the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Fund.  The voters said, "Yes, please raise my sales tax for 25 years so we can enjoy our clean water, public lands, arts, parks and trails."  We voters joined together and did that.  I was very surprised when that happened.  But there again, I think the voters were thinking WIIFM when they said yes to the sales tax increase.  Clean water benefits all of us.  The voters knew that in 2008 and spoke in a clear voice.  If our voters can do that, we can do more great things in the future. Maybe if we answered the WIIFM question clearly we could get farther than we can when we mock those who ask it. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...