Monday, June 13, 2016

Enon

I read Enon by Paul Harding.  In this story a guy named Charlie is devastated by the death of his daughter.  I liked Charlie because he has such a close relationship with his 13 year old daughter.   Any father that close has to be a good guy, right?  As the story progresses though, and Charlie's downward spiral of despair continues I began to wonder if Charlie really was a good guy or not.  The writing was colorful and imaginative.  Charlie's thoughts go so far I began to wonder if the author wasn't taking something.  As Charlie tries to escape his grief with prescription pain killers I really began to wonder if the author isn't taking something. Some of the images he wrote about were disturbingly descriptive and they linger in my mind longer than I want them too.  I guess that is a sign of a good book - one that leaves a linguistic hangover even after you returned it to the library.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...