Sunday, June 19, 2016

Traveling

I have been traveling for the last five days to the north and to the east and backwards in vegetative time to an era when lilacs, peonies, iris and bridal wreath bushes are in full bloom.  I went to a 3 day class in Grand Marais with a good friend of mine and while there I stayed at her cabin located about mid-point on the Gunflint Trail.  While studying and learning at the North House Folk school we had an opportunity to witness the rehearsal of the summer solstice play.  I totally loved the play because, for the first time, a play had characters such as a field guide, spring peeper frogs (with white balloons under their chins which sadly deflated during rehearsal), blue spotted salamanders, fairy shrimp, water striders (I call them Jesus bugs), meadowhawk dragonflies, and a great blue heron.  And while these characters were on stage, a young girl on a unicycle cycles back and forth holding a sign with their common name and Latin name.  The live music score was awesome.  The funniest part was a snail slowly crossing the stage while a little boy in a turtle costume ran continuous circles around the snail.  All this was set on a big patio outside the folk school with the Grand Marais harbor in the background.  The whole time I was watching it I thought to myself, "I am so glad to be right here, right now."
Father Winter and Mother Summer?

This fella with the big ear is listening for spring peepers.  I look exactly the same on my frog and toad survey.

I never saw a field guide as a character and I think this is epic.

This is a meadowhawk dragonfly according to the girl on the unicycle.

There were 4 blue spotted salamanders in this play.

The great blue heron had help with it's head movements.

This little turtle ran full speed during his entire performance.

Maybe this represents summer or maybe it's the jolly green giant.  Ho Ho Ho
 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...