Thursday, June 22, 2017

Ephemeral Geology

Last night a group of us went to a master naturalist group class on geology taught by a geologist who is surveying the rocks in Minnesota. Each group in her office is divided up by the age of the rocks and her specialty are the really old rocks such as agates and volcanic rocks.  She was fascinating. Not only a great speaker she had enthusiasm and passion. Lava, magma, basalt, all that geology stuff is fascinating when I hear it but it just doesn't stay in the old brain pan. My knowledge of geology dissipates into thin air within ten days much like an ephemeral pond in the spring. Rocks are solid things.  Agates are especially solid. Agates are more solid and longer lasting than the basalt in which they are conceived. But I can't keep them in my head. Agates are formed in basalt. Basalt is a volcanic rock.  How many times have I heard that?  Many! Yet each time I am told basic geology facts my mind says, "Really?  Far out!"  Continental drift? I love that idea especially since I stood at the top of the rift valley in Africa and surveyed the wonder.  If you think about it, if the Rocky Mountains hadn't protruded upwards, Minnesota could be a state with an Atlantic shore. I would love that.  I love lake Superior but the Atlantic? We could be the new Maine. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...