Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Water Kefir

My last trip to Sicily was more about family than tourism but it was also about fermenting.  I got a lesson in fermenting.  I already made my own yogurt and my own  Greek yogurt (regular yogurt drained of the whey in cheesecloth).  But, I did not know that unpasteurized milk from Italian cows could make such a delicious product. I have not been interested in unpasteurized milk before but now I am.  I even asked Offspring #1, "Do you KNOW how lucky you are to have this yogurt available to you?"  He does know.  I am happy to announce that he's a very lucky man.  I also learned about sourdough bread. I had made Friendship bread in the past so I was somewhat familiar. A few days before my second grandchild arrived I was asked, "Can you keep the fermenting going when we are at the hospital?"  My heart swelled. I would do many things to be helpful during this birth up to but not quite the point of amputating toes. I kept the fermenting going.  The kamboucha could wait until they were back.  Kamboucha is a fermented drink, full of probiotics and totally good for you plus it has a slightly vinegar taste. I worked on the milk kefir and the water kefir.  I was happy to do it.  Plus, by the way, water kefir is delicious!  Naturally carbonated and fruity and sweet - heck yes, I will make that. I took some home in my suitcase.  I got through customs.  Don't offer information that is not asked! Milk kefir is also delicious but has more calories so I was more enthralled with the water kefir.  Plus, when I ask my two year old granddaughter what she wants to drink with breakfast and she says, with her two year old mouth and two year old understanding, "milk kefir?"  I just want to take a mental picture of this moment and keep it forever.
Water kefir is kept at room temperature for 24 hours. Under this tie dyed cloth is a glass jar with 4 cups of sugary water (plus a  quarter teaspoon of molasses) and the water kefir grains. The grains are a live being composed of bacteria and yeast.  The cloth keeps them out of the sun.

Each batch makes 4 cups of kefir.  Using glass or plastic is good.  Metal is not good for the grains.  Grains are fussy.  Grains don't like metal or fruit or coldness or heat. Grains have a small comfort zone. You might be able to see the grains at the bottom of this vase. I put a rubber band around a piece of painter tape that marks the four cup level.  The sugary mixture has to be heated to dissolve the sugars but must cool before you use it. Hot water would kill the grains.  My grains are doing well.  My grains have multiplied.  I started with 1/4 cup of grains and now I'm up to 1/2 cup.  Now I can give 1/4 cup of grains to a sibling so she can get started fermenting water kefir.  Actually, I need to dial back on my enthusiasm because I have four people waiting for water kefir grains.

I am proud of my water kefir grains.

After 24 hours of fermenting you strain the liquid to keep the grains out and put the liquid in beer bottles with flavor for another 24 hours.  My daughter in law says I am more adventurous than her.  I have made many flavors including cherry/basil, lime ginger, lime cinnamon, lemon ginger, lemon basil, blueberry cinnamon, and, my very favorite so far tangerine/cinnamon.  By the way, cinnamon sticks swell up and unroll when they get wet making them freaking hard to remove from a beer bottle.  I can tell you seven ways that don't work to remove a cinnamon stick from a beer bottle and one that does work (long knitting needle).  Also, put cinnamon sticks into a plastic bag and they splinter into smaller units that can pour out of a beer bottle without 20 minutes of concentrated work.  Never knew that before. Live and learn. She uses more juices available in Italy such as peach, orange, pineapple, strawberry, pears, cactus fruit and watermelon. Sometimes, if you do it right, and I have done it right, your hair will blow back from your face when you open the top of the beer bottle and the liquid will spray out.  Cooking with a tad of danger?  What could be better!!!  Fermenting has opened up a whole new way of life!  Do I feel better after drinking this magic liquid for the past 6 weeks? Yes, a little bit better.  For more information go to culturesforhealth.com/learn/water-kefir/water-kefir-frequently-asked-questions-faq/

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...