Wednesday, August 8, 2018

A People's History of the United States; The Twentieth Century

I listened to this book on CD.  Howard Zinn spoke on the preface and also again toward the end of the book.  Otherwise the book was read by someone else. This book tells the story of what happened by the losers. For example, in the history books I read when I was in school I learned that Christopher Columbus discovered America in 1492.  Well, there were people already there when he invaded and enslaved and killed. This version of the book focuses on the last century so I learned about the Native Americans, the women, the migrant workers, the people of color, the immigrants, and the poor. The author was a historian so he knows a thing or two about history.  I enjoyed the book more than I enjoy a typical history book. Sometimes the author criticized people I like which made me a little uncomfortable (don't go picking on Ruth Bader Ginsberg).  Although the author didn't talk about all the losers in our nation, he did talk about quite a few.  His account is more about the east coast than the west coast because he is located on the east coast. My thoughts were provoked and my perspective has changed because I read this book.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...