Monday, August 27, 2018

Driveway Puddles

On my way home from work today the clouds opened up and rain fell and rain fell hard. I pulled the car into the garage.  I shut the windows and wiped up the rain that came in the house. Then I went out to the street to get the mail and the garbage bin. Rain had collected in my driveway. A couple spots were so keep my ankles were submerged. That brought back a memory of Offspring #2 asking, during rain storms, if she could swim in the driveway. I always said yes so she would don her bathing suit and swim in the driveway puddles. She enjoyed the puddles. I enjoy the puddles too.  I have lived her more than 25 years. Several times I have paid to have class five gravel added to the driveway. I could have had the driveway improved with cement or asphalt or brick but I never did. I prefer the gravel.  Sometimes I have to mow the center strip because grass and plantain grow between the tire tracks. Shoveling the snow on a gravel driveway can be difficult.  But I still like the gravel.  I like the fact that when the rain falls on my property it soaks into the ground instead of running off down the street and into the Rum River.  I like the fact that the rain on my driveway soaks down into the aquifer eventually. Owning property means making a series of choices.  Some of the choices I have made turned out well and others didn't.  I am glad I chose to keep the gravel driveway.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...