Thursday, August 23, 2018

Half-Pint

This morning I checked on my chickens and they were fine. I have been locking them in the house at night just to be safe from the predator. I let them out and gave them a snack of some corn cobs. I refilled the water bowl. When I came home at 6 tonight I saw Half-Pint, one of the Americauna chickens, lying on the ground next to the water bowl. Her sisters were stepping on her in their excitement at my presence.  Half-Pint was dead; poor little chicken. I was sad as I got fresh bedding and food and water for the other girls.  As they ate in the chicken house I removed her stiff little body from the coop. Her eyes were closed on her bald little red head.  She had alopecia and now she is dead.  None of the other chickens are bald; only her.  I laid her body in the prairie at the crest of the hill.  Other animals will benefit from her now. She was a good little hen. One day you have six chickens and the next day you have five.  All part of the circle of life.  As I paid my last respects I thought of my younger cousin who is dying from lung issues.  RIP Half-Pint.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...