Thursday, August 30, 2018

The Invention of Nature

My neighbors gave me this book.  I must have watered their plants when they were on vacation so this book was a thank you gift.  I think I got The Invention of Nature; Alexander Von Humboldt's New World by Andrea Wulf about a year ago and I just finished it now. In the past year two of my master naturalist friends read it and liked it.  I read the first few chapters before loaning it out.  The book really starts taking off after the first few chapters. This is a non-fiction scientific book about not only Alexander Von Humboldt but also Charles Darwin, Aldo Leopold, John Muir and Henry David Thoreau. Female scientists and scientists of color are pretty much absent in this thick book. The story is mostly about Humboldt and the people he inspired. Although the subject matter is not light reading I managed to finish the book without too much difficulty.  I enjoy the stories about traveling and making observations about nature that change your perception of your own back yard.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...