Sunday, August 12, 2018

Reckless Birds!

This morning I was on my deck talking (via video/chat) to Offspring #1 and his two offspring  who are in Sicily when out of the basswood tree flies two red shouldered hawks.  One of the hawks slammed into my picture window and fell to the ground while the other hawk veered away from the house and sat on a branch in the basswood tree.  Well, I got a little excited. The hawk on the ground shook it's head, waited 45 seconds, and then flew up into the basswood tree.  Poor thing was probably seeing stars after having it's bell rang that hard. Grand Offspring #1 asks, "Was it scary Grandma?"  I answer it was scary. But then I see the worried look on her little face and say it isn't scary anymore. These two juvenile red shouldered hawks have been flying through my yard and up and down my street calling all day long. I have a couple red shouldered hawk feathers on my peony busy.  I am glad no one got hurt.  As I type this two male ruby throated hummingbirds are flying around chasing each other off the feeder like a couple of F-18 jets.  Here I travel all the way to Isle Royale to reconnect with nature when I got a boatload of nature drama going on right here at home.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...