Friday, September 7, 2018

Silver Soldier

When I was a child we went to a dentist in White Bear Lake. Dr. Raykowski had an office in his house. His wife was the receptionist and assistant. When we went on Saturday mornings Dr. Raykowski saw me and my four sisters plus my five cousins.  All ten cousins had exams and work done before noon.  Dr. Raykowski had very thick fingers. He always washed his hands with soap before he looked in my mouth.  I think he used Palmolive Gold soap. Dr. Raykowski did not believe in novacaine.  He thought he couldn't insure a good bite when the patient was all numbed after the filling was in so he didn't use novacaine. When I did need a filling he called them silver soldiers. So yesterday as I was in the dental chair, all numbed up, I was thinking about him as I was having the silver soldier he put in drilled out and another one put installed.  If this silver soldier lasts as long as the other one did, I'll be in good shape.  I left the dental office yesterday feeling numb and wishing I could have a toy from a toy closet like Dr. Raykowski had.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...