Tuesday, September 11, 2018

A Mighty Fine Chicken

I got home after 6 o'clock tonight and went to check on my chickens. For some reason they keep moving the watermelon rind into the water bowl.  Maybe they prefer flavored water, I am not sure. In any case I was surprised to find 3 eggs in there. The blue egg at the bottom is from the Americauna chicken. The brown egg on the upper left is from Heckyl or Jeckyl, the cuckoo maran chickens.  On the right is a tan egg from my only remaining Buff Orpington, Chickenson Caruso.  In 2017 she laid a total of 6 eggs.  So far in the last six weeks she has laid another six eggs.  Why is she laying more eggs this year than last year? I am not sure but she is freaking amazing and I told her so. I hope this is a good thing for her. I remember once I had a plum tree in my back yard that was fairly old.  One summer that plum tree produced so many plums I ended up making jam with them all because I couldn't keep up eating them fresh. Over the next winter the plum tree died.  Some plants will put all their energy into reproduction when they sense the end is near.  I hope this is not the case with Chickenson Caruso because she is a mighty fine chicken.  She is more than six years old and she doesn't look a day over two years old.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...