Sunday, September 9, 2018

Thirty Years Old!

Yesterday I went to a birthday party for someone turning 30. That triggered a memory of my 30th birthday.  I remember it was a Saturday. I was feeling pretty good.  I was pregnant for the first time so I felt physically great as my body got bigger and bigger. By my birthday I was 7 months pregnant. No stretch marks had appeared yet. I remember I was wearing maternity jeans with a stretch panel at the belly.  On the back pockets of these maternity jeans silver threads made a star shape.  Normally I do not like my back side to be glittery or to attract attention but these jeans fit and I was only going to wear them for a short time. I remember the top I was wearing. This top was a wine colored plaid woven top with short puffy sleeves and a scoop neck with white trim. The top wasn't a maternity top but it had plenty of room so I was wearing it.  Because I was having a bad hair day I wore a neckerchief folded into a triangle over my hair and tied behind my neck. The day seemed ordinary with one exception.  My spouse was cleaning the house. We lived in a twin home at the time.  He was cleaning the lower level and kept at it for over an hour. This was unusual behavior.  I thought about questioning him about it but decided to let sleeping dogs lie cleaning spouses clean. At five in the afternoon the doorbell rang.  I opened it. There were two friends at the door with food and beer in their hands. I wasn't expecting them but oh, well, I let them in.  Twenty minutes later the doorbell rang again.  Here was another couple carrying food and beer. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but it dawned on my a party was happening right now at my house and for me. My first thought was I looked terrible.  I was not dressed for a party. I dismissed that thought and had a great evening. How many people came?  I am not sure but I think between 20 and 30 people came over. After the party I remember we had to replace our plastic laundry tub because it had broken when someone dropped a keg into it.  Also, I remember people standing on top of my washer and dryer next to the laundry tub. The guy standing on the laundry machines was from Saint Cloud. He was a really smart guy with a huge vocabulary.  I didn't know him well but I knew he was smart. I remember feeling good that night, surrounded by people there for my honor. Even though my memory of that day has faded, I am sure I had a good 30th birthday.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...