Thursday, April 28, 2022

Oh, William

 Years ago I read Elizabeth Strout's novel My Name Is Lucy Barton. I liked it. Now I just read Strout's latest novel, Oh, William and found out it is a sequel to My Name is Lucy Barton. Now Lucy is in her 60's. Her husband has died and she feels lonely without him. She revisits her relationship with her first husband, William, to whom she was married in the first book. William is the philandering father of her two adult daughters. He is experiencing some unhappy changes in his life so he calls on her to navigate them. Sometimes he is infuriating and I found myself mentally telling Lucy to kick him to the curb but then he calls her "Button" and her heart melts and she forgives him once again. Lucy speaks honestly about her ex-husband's qualities. I thought the author did a great job describing the conflicted feelings a person can have about someone they used to love.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...