Friday, April 8, 2022

The Vanishers

 Several times as I was reading The Vanishers by Heidi Julavits I thought I would just return it unfinished. But I plodded along and finished it feeling underwhelmed. In this story Julie is a 22 year old student at an elite psychic institute. Her mentor, jealous of Julie's abilities, throws a psychic attack at her. Julie becomes ill from the attack, withdraws from her studies, and tries to recover her health. Julie is also the narrator of the story and as I read her words I didn't believe half of what she said. She is a very unreliable narrator. The entire book was full of characters who were underhanded and criminal. I was happy to come to the end of this very odd story.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...