Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Whereabouts


Jhumpi Lahiri won a Pulitzer Prize for her book Interpreter of Maladies. I liked that book very much. This time I read Whereabouts which I liked but not as much as Interpreter of Maladies. This short novel is a series of chapters describing the thoughts of a single woman, in her 40's, living somewhere in Italy. She is a college professor and, I think, clinically depressed. Each chapter is like a diary entry and the book covers a year in time. She doesn't appear to be any happier at the end of the book that she was in the beginning. I enjoyed the descriptions of her town including the coffee shop, the bakery, the stationery store and the piazzias.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...