Tuesday, June 6, 2023

BOOM!

 "If you remember only one thing tonight, make it boom," my instructor said to night after showing us the crossbar on the sailboat. I had a sailing lesson tonight because I am going to help people sail this summer as part of an adaptive recreation program. We met at the DSSA (Duluth Superior Sailing Association) pier out on Park Point. I arrived at 4:45 and walked around for fifteen minutes. The temperature was 55 degrees and the wind was chilly. I noticed the east wind was so strong that swimming was prohibited at the beach. I learned tonight that when the wind is from the east water gets pushed into the estuary which is why the water looked higher than usual. I also learned that when an iron ore ship comes into the harbor, the ship displaces so much water that the water level will rise for about 30 minutes. Two other women volunteered along with three men. The three men are experienced sailors. One drives down from Virginia which is a 90 minute drive one way. We were given a tour of the grounds and the two equipment sheds. One shed is the life jacket shed. The other is the equipment shed where I can leave my phone and keys when I go sailing. Besides the boom we were shown how to get on and off the two larger sailboats. If the winds are above 15 miles per hour the sailing will be cancelled so we would have been cancelled tonight. When the participants come they will bring a caregiver with them. We were shown how to assist people on and off the boats. The program has a Hoyer lift that attaches to the pier. Each participant who uses a Hoyer lift will sit on their own sling during the ride. I am so excited that people who use wheelchairs will be able to go sailing. I think that is awesome. If participants are interested they can sail in a smaller sailboat by themselves. They are allowed to go out into the estuary but are supposed to stay within sight and stay out of the shipping lanes. We were advised to wear sturdy shoes and to wear gardening or kayaking gloves to protect from rope burns. I am excited to be part of this program. I hope I can remember to be mindful of the boom. 


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...