Saturday, June 24, 2023

Opa!


 Today I walked up the hill to attend the Taste of Greece festival put on by the Twelve Holy Apostles church here in Duluth. The church members set up the tables and chairs, sound systems, food, raffle tickets and book sale. Food is offered outside under the tents and also here in the gym. Young dancers wear costumes that they have researched from their ancestors city in Greece. While I was having lunch (Greek salad and coffee) the dancers led a line dance that people could join. I had never been inside the Marshall high school before. A couple of Greek Orthodox priests were on hand to answer questions. While people ate a pair of toddlers danced together. This was a very crowded event. I had to wait in line for an hour to get my lunch. A lady next to me said sometimes they run out of food before the event is over on Sunday. A woman was selling church t-shirts told me that when the women of the church fold the pastries and cookies, they teach the children how to form the twists by experimenting with play dough. This was a very nice community event. The people were nice. The food was delicious. I enjoyed the music and the dancing.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...