Friday, August 10, 2007

Acorns Are Ruining My Sleep

I have a burr oak on the east side of my house and this year we have a bumper crop of acorns. The little fringed capped acorns are so plentiful that they are starting to form layers under the tree. I have a veritable drift of acorns. About 20 feet northeast of the burr oak tree lays an aluminum canoe. When the acorns hit the canoe, it sounds like a pistol shot. These alarming sounds happen at random times 24 hours a day - not far from my bedroom window. I don't see how one small acorn can make that much noise. Sounds like the tree has grown arms and is flinging the acorns at the canoe like the apple tree flung apples at the scarecrow and Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. Could the fact that the canoe is upside down have something to do with it? Maybe if I turned the canoe over there would be less noise because it would strike the aluminum with the ground supporting it? OR - I could put a blanket over the canoe to muffle the sound. OR - I could move the canoe away from the tree - but that would just move it closer to a different oak tree. Plus I shouldn't be doing that - back restrictions and all. One of my offspring just bought a screen gazebo - I could erect that over the canoe - kinda like a canoe umbrella. Or - I could refill my air tank and shoot the acorns out of the tree with my paintball gun. Sounds like fun but hard on the tree. Or I could relax and smile when I hear the acorns striking the canoe because it is proof that I am still alive and hearing.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...